PMI Supports Military, Veterans and their Families
The project management profession is an ideal career for military veterans transitioning into the civilian workforce. Your skills are directly transferable to the project management profession. Leading cross-functional teams to ensure accomplishment of mission objectives (strategic leadership skill), managing budgets and scheduling activities (technical skills), and conflict mediation and performance appraisal (soft skills), are all key proficiencies military veterans and project managers share.
You already have experience in “operationalizing” projects. Additionally, your strong “warrior ethos”— the mission is always first, never accept defeat, never quit, and never leave a fallen comrade — is appealing and can lead to organizational success.
Overall, many military veterans have the personal and performance competencies to succeed as a certified project manager. With your experience and a PMI credential, you can distinguish yourself to potential employers and open doors to new opportunities.
Military & Veteran Membership Cost
The cost of PMI Membership is $129.00 USD annually, plus a $10.00 USD application fee to new or rejoining Members. You can join PMI easily online, by logging in to PMI.org with your username and password. Once you are logged in:
- Click on the "Marketplace" tab
- Click on the "PMI Membership" link located on the far left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on "Individual"
- Click on "Individual Membership"
- Click on “Add to cart”
- Proceed to Check Out
Once you are a Member, you may wish to consider joining a local chapter of the Project Management Institute. PMI chapters are a very helpful resource if you are interested in pursuing a career or becoming skilled in project management. Military & Veterans (including spouses) can join the PMI Columbus GA Chapter at NO COST during their first year of membership. Please contact our VP of Membership for more information or to get a FREE military guest pass.
- Your local chapter provides networking and learning opportunities.
- Many offer training throughout the year, including preparation for certification exams and study groups. Chapters often collaborate with local Registered Education Providers to provide low- or no-cost training solutions for military service members, veterans and their families.
- They provide assistance in finding funding options to cover your certification exam fees (all of PMI’s certifications are covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill and some are covered under your branch COOL programs).
- There is no charge for the first year of chapter membership through our military chapter guest pass program, as long as you are a PMI member.
Click here for Information about financial resources.
To find out more information, visit the PMI Military Page.
If you have any questions, please contact the PMI Columbus GA Military Liaison.